Friday, August 16, 2013

Friday Feature: Sewing Cousins

Final week of the summer, and the Coussoule Curriculum clearly stated Medium: Sewing. Project: Pillows. Seriously, Amanda... where did I come up with this stuff? But on the schedule it was, so we bravely forged ahead.

This week's feature has a guest appearance by my niece Kira, since we were in Houston for a visit. But again - vacation or no vacation, sewing was on the schedule!! Onward!! Machine was packed with patterns and remnants, all conveniently fitting in the sewing machine case I never, in a million billion years, I thought I'd actually use as a case for transport. You just never know...

I have a TON of fabric remnants from projects I've done in the past, and I also have a pattern for letter pillows that I have just been waiting to find the right project for, and voila. Here we go.

I did my best to let the girls do everything they could, and I was pleasantly surprised to see them both throw themselves into the project enthusiastically. I unfortunately did not get any pictures of either of them at the sewing machine (Mom/Aunt fail), but I promise, they did the machine sewing. Despite protests and repeated assertions that they prefer sewing by hand.

STEP 1: CUT THE LETTER ACCORDING TO THE PATTERN



STEP 2: SEW (Okay, okay, I know, no pictures. But it's step 2, and it feels weird to leave it out.)

STEP 3: STUFF THE LETTER PILLOW



STEP 4: HAND SEW THE FINAL SEAM



STEP 5: POSE LIKE A ROCK STAR WITH FINISHED PROJECT


 
So cutting, sewing, stuffing, and finishing done, we have two new letter pillows that I have every confidence will find a place of honor on two little girls' beds in the near future. This project may not have encouraged them in future sewing endeavors, but I bet it will make them think of each other whenever they see those pillows. And that, my friend, is a true work of art.

No comments:

Post a Comment