Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Preparations

Thanksgiving is, hands down, my favorite holiday of the year. It's low pressure, unlike Christmas and birthdays, though lots of work - well, for my husband. I am ashamed to admit that I don't help much - but in my defense, I'm not much help even when I do make an appearance in the kitchen. I mostly feel in-the-way, so over the years I've been relegated to the deviled eggs and buttering the rolls. Oh, and putting the marshmallows on top of the sweet potatoes in the years that we make those.

I've apparently never progressed from the same tasks I had as an 11 year old.

I did buy the pecan pie today, and will be responsible for transportation for the international students we're hosting from the University tomorrow. So there's that.

Justin and my mother-in-law, Betty, are already in full turkey dinner preparation mode.


The things that can be made ahead of time are in progress, and Caroline has lent a hand to the making of the pumpkin pie. Her helping also includes periodic scrunched-nose-face as she proclaims she doesn't like pumpkin pie, but help is help, after all.


Part of what's so great about Thanksgiving is the fanciness of it all - Justin sets a beautiful table, and it's one of the few times during the year we use our china and crystal.


Can't wait until tomorrow - family, food, friends, and football. Yes indeed, I am thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment