Sunday, April 21, 2013

How will my garden grow?

It's been a pretty cold spring, with winter seemingly uninterested in finally giving up and going away until next year. We've had a couple of nice days here and there, usually followed by rain and then plunging temperatures again. I know Arkansas doesn't have the corner on capricious weather, but like a few other places I've lived, the old adage is true: if you don't like the weather, just wait a minute, and it will change.

I was gone all weekend for a race (report to come!) but almost as soon as I got home today, I changed clothes and headed outside to help Justin. The weather was nice today, and while it still looks like there are some cold days ahead, I think we have finally passed the last frost. Fingers crossed, because today we planted seeds in all of our flowers pots and in our garden.


I lovelovelove having a vegetable garden. It's always a lot of work to get it ready for planting, but there is nothing like fresh produce from our backyard. This year, we're trying tomatoes, cucumbers, squash, radishes, onions, carrots, spinach, peppers and even pumpkin.


Last summer was so hot and dry that about halfway through the growing season, the plants officially cried "uncle." Despite our best efforts with watering, they just didn't produce. I have high hopes for this year - hope springs eternal. (Get it? "Springs?" Right?)

For the flower pots, we picked out about ten different varieties of flowers. We need full sun only for the back, and partial shade to shade for the front porch. Impatiens, pansies, nasturtium, etc. I even got some bluebonnets for the front - it could be the best summer ever if those come in.



This is our fifth summer to have a garden, and we've learned a little bit each summer about planting depths, spacing, and timing. I'm not sure how my garden will grow this summer, but I am, as always, optimistic.

Besides, if it doesn't quite work out, there's always the Fayetteville Farmers' Market.

No comments:

Post a Comment