Thursday, February 21, 2013

You Live Where?: Winter Edition

Thanks to the Army and then P&G, we've moved a lot. We're currently in Northwest Arkansas, which is a wonderful place to live. In fact, it's one of my favorites of the 12 different places I have lived in my adult life.

Despite NWA being one of my favorite places to live, as a Texan, there's just a natural bias against the whole state. It's pretty common to get a "You live where??" type of response from childhood friends when they hear where my latest move brought me. With that in mind, I've decided to start a randomly recurring blog segment known as "You Live Where?" Has a nice ring, no?

Southern state aside, we have winter here in NWA. Yesterday was the first snow day of the year, with snow and ice predicted as part of Winter Storm Q. (I'll keep my opinions on the Weather Channel naming winter storms to myself.)



While weather predictions here are usually 50/50 at best, with snow on the forecast it's a 100% accurate prediction that everyone here will lose the ability to drive. Exhibit A: my 12 mile drive that should have taken 20 minutes took 1:05. At least nine cars and a semi off the road. Seriously, people:






Schools closed early; email from the office advised planning to work from home; I even succumbed and bagged on my Thursday morning run before I even went to bed.

Sure was nice to sleep in, but when it was 36 degrees and raining, not sleeting so that my excuse was pretty weak, I realized: I may officially be a local.

No comments:

Post a Comment