Friday, February 22, 2013

Friday Feature: John's artwork

I don't know about you, but what I remember about kindergarten primarily centers around recess, crafts, and the big treehouse in the indoor play area. There were lessons about shapes and colors; number and letters; and probably some reading and writing, but I don't actually remember that very well.

I continue to sing the praises of the Fayetteville Public School District and specifically, Holcomb Elementary, for the subjects and the way they teach my kids not just their letters, numbers, words and concepts, but how they teach them to love learning and think creatively about what learning is.

When John brought this home this week, what struck me was that something he saw as artwork was truly a lesson in spelling and sentence structure. Like any mom I think my kids are special and smart, but a 5 year old writing sentences that go together and tell a little story? Extraordinary. Not just John - but the teacher who got him and his 21 kindergarten classmates there.


I'm glad he's doing well in school, but even more, I'm blessed because John makes my world culrfl!!

No comments:

Post a Comment