Friday, April 18, 2014

Friday Feature: My Future Scientist

I've said it before, and I'm sure I'll say it again, maybe a thousand times: my kids can be anything they want to be when they grow up.

As long as it's a scientist or engineer.

I've been delighted with Caroline's recent stories about what they're learning in GT. Most recently, she came home totally enthused about an experiment in circuitry that involved C batteries; aluminum foil; and a light bulb. She was the first one in her class to get the light bulb to light up, and I've taken to calling her my little Electrical Engineer.

Today, some other GT work came home, and I feel like I may need to alternate between giving her Juice props and encouraging a field that mostly eluded me in my academic career: Chemistry.

The GT unit they've spent several weeks on is called "Science on a Shoestring," but it has included some pretty advanced topics, including an overview of the periodic table. Chemistry was never my strong suit. Physics? No problem. Chemistry? Never could get those equations to balance quite right. So I'm pretty excited that it's been introduced in third grade, and far more excited that Caroline is so interested in it.

Part of the unit was learning about famous scientists, and you can see here that Caroline chose Marie Curie:
We stand on the shoulders of giants, the women of the 21st century. I hope that Caroline is inspired to someday join their ranks.

No comments:

Post a Comment