Friday, September 6, 2013

Friday Feature: Caroline's schoolwork

Oh, math, why can't my daughter just love you?

I'm trying to figure out why it's so important to me that my daughter not just like math, but LOVE math. And science, for that matter. I've said before, my kids can be anything they want to be. As long as it's a scientist or engineer. But I can already tell, three weeks into third grade, it's going to be a constant state of encouragement and cajoling to keep Caroline focused on why numbers are so important.

I'm encouraged that she seems to be "getting it" a little easier this year. She says they're still reviewing math from last year, but I don't remember her doing two and three digit addition, and learning to round to the nearest ten. So maybe she's just more comfortable with it, or maybe it's coming easier so she thinks she's done it before.

Either way, I'm just glad she doesn't seem to have the angst about math that she had last year and even over the summer with her worksheets. When I saw her math quiz this week, I was super excited to see that she got all problems attempted correct:


Being the overly competitive person I am, I wondered if finishing eleven problems was enough. How many did the other kids do? How much time did she have? Was there one in particular that was hard for her that we could work on at home?

And then I stopped - took a mental step back - and let it go. She got all eleven right. And that is an excellent place to be in the third week of third grade.

No comments:

Post a Comment