Sunday, August 11, 2013

Houston Visit 2013: KHS Twenty Year Reunion (the after party)

Remember prom, and the all night party that followed, purportedly to keep us all out of trouble but which turned into the thing that everyone looked forward to more than the prom itself? Yeah - that was the party at Cindy and Brandon's house yesterday.

When I came home for my 20 year high school reunion several weeks ago, it was definitely a highlight of my summer. Unfortunately, there were quite a few of my closest friends who didn't make it to the Reunion, for reasons that ranged from totally legit to totally lame. In the run up to the 20 year, this group of close friends good naturedly argued via Facebook messaging the merits of attending the official function. We all agreed that we definitely wanted to see each other, reunion or otherwise, so plans were made for the after party - a summer get together for us and our families at the Baylors'  house. 

As I get older, I am more and more thankful for the friends of my youth. As is probably true for most people, the friends of my formative years kind of fell into groups, based on the activities or classes we had in common. I had my basketball friends; my honors classes friends; my live-on-the-same-street friends; my Standleader friends. But the true, forever, no-matter-what friends for me are my band friends. Some of us were thrown together to endure the screeches and honks of middle school band, then expanded our circle when we got to the big pond of high school and marching band. 

Shelby, Cindy, Lisa, me and Molly
and we all look FABULOUS
 
In those hot, humid, Houston summer mornings we forged friendships and bonds that have stood the test of time. As we drove over to the party yesterday, I told my kids that I'd known these friends going on 30 years, but hadn't seen some of them in 20. Saying it out loud just made me shake my head... How do we let time go by so quickly? 

As soon as we got there, though, I realized: with your childhood friends who've known you almost your whole life, it doesn't matter how much time goes by. It doesn't matter if you're a big shot professional or a stay at home mom. It doesn't matter if you're married or single; wealthy or just scraping by; skinny as a rail or a few pounds heavier than in high school. We're friends not because of what we have, how we look, or what we can do for each other. We're friends because, well... Because we're friends. Because we always have been. And always will be.

The crew minus a few - they have 51 weeks to plan and BE HERE next year!!
Brandon, Molly, me, Lisa, Jeff, Oscar, Shelby and Cindy
 
And now, after spending several hours with not just my friends but their families, too, I know that whether they like it or not, the spouses and kiddos are caught up in this friendship, too. We missed a few of our group yesterday - work, distance, and circumstances kept a few away. But we've already set the date for next year. With 51 weeks' notice, I hope we all make it back. 

It's the after party that, if we're lucky, will never end. 

1 comment:

  1. aw I like this post! I was wondering where you were...I miss you at the office. :)

    ReplyDelete